The phone company assures us that, despite any area code changes, telephone numbers that were a local call for you before the new area code was put into effect, will remain a local call for you after the new area codes are in effect. A previously "local" call will still be "local" even if you have to dial a different area code to reach that number.
To change the area code for VFR's phone number do the following:
- Click on "My Computer"
- Click on "Dial-up Networking"
- Find the icon for VFR and click on it just one time so that it is highlighted.
- Click on "file" and then "properties"
- On the page that comes up:
- Click on the little box that says "Use country code and area code"
- Click your mouse once in the area code box and type in 916
- Keep clicking on "OK" until you get back to Dial-up Networking
- Close "Dial-up Networking" and "My Computer" by clicking the "X" in the upper right hand corner of each box.
To check and/or change your own area code setting in your computer do the following:
- Click on "start" and then "settings"
- Click on "Control Panel"
- Click on "Modems"
- Highlight your modem by clicking on it once (if it isn't already highlighted)
- Click on "Dialing Properties"
- Change your area code if it is not specified accurately.
- Click on OK when you are done and then click on OK again.
- Close "Control Panel" by clicking on the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the box.
Windows 3.1 - Trumpet
- Start trumpet by clicking on the trumpet icon.
- Stop the script by hitting the "escape" key on your keyboard.
- Click on "Dialler" and then "1.Setup.Cmd"
- The first number that is shown is VFR's telephone number. Type in 19166521888
- Click on "OK" and repeat this for the username and password boxes.
- Click on "File" and "Exit" to get out of trumpet.